The group was formed by members of the Central Coast community because our response to the threat of climate change needs community support.
The group recognizes the following:
- That it is clear that the warming being experienced is caused by human activities, in particular the emission of green house gases from combustion of fossil fuels, deforestation, etc.
- That the acidity of the Earth’s oceans is being driven up by human emissions of CO2 into the atmosphere.
- That the earth has warmed already by 1.0 deg C over pre-industrial temperatures.
- That the emissions already created will drive further climate warming of the order of a further 1.0 deg C.
- That the impacts on the Earth’s biosphere are currently set to continue for a minimum of 1000 years.
- That the impacts include human/society losses as well as biodiversity loss:
- Rising temperature
- Rising sea level and loss of human settlements/agricultural land
- Increasing ocean acidity
- Health impacts – heat stress and disease
- Biodiversity loss -- 30% to 80%
The Aims of Climate Future are:
- To see national and local actions - a price on carbon (e.g. an ETS); All parties to implement a price immediately.
- Ban on any new fossil fuel mining.
- Ban on new infrastructure to use fossil fuels (such investments are a waste of money).
- Phase out all use of fossil fuels by 2030.
- Phase out all industrial production of GHGs by 2035.
- Encourage local action at agency, business and community levels.
- Education program for awareness raising.
- Coordinate with other groups active on climate change.
- Support campaigns by other groups that focus on particular issues related to the climate issue (e.g. Adani mine/ Wallarah Mine; health impacts, bushfire, flooding).