The group was formed by members of the Central Coast community because our response to the threat of climate change needs community support.
The group recognizes the following:
- That it is clear that the warming being experienced is caused by human activities, in particular the emission of green house gases from combustion of fossil fuels, deforestation, etc.
- That the acidity of the Earth’s oceans is being driven up by human emissions of CO2 into the atmosphere.
- That the earth has warmed already by 0.8 deg C over pre-industrial temperatures.
- That the emissions already created will drive further climate warming of the order of a further 0.75 deg C.
- That the impacts on the Earth’s biosphere are currently set to continue for a minimum of 1000 years.
- That the impacts include human/society losses as well as biodiversity loss:
- Rising temperature
- Rising sea level and loss of human settlements/agricultural land
- Increasing ocean acidity
- Health impacts – heat stress and disease
- Biodiversity loss -- 20% to 40%
The Aims of Climate Future are:
- To increase public education and awareness of climate change.
- To promote actions to mitigate climate change.
- To promote adaptation to the impacts of climate change
- To provide an avenue for the community to get involved in climate change events and activities.
- Promoting renewable energy and other practical measures.